Sunday, October 14 2012
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne was crowned champion for the third time in front of tens of thousands of fans at Brands Hatch this afternoon as he celebrated the final win of the weekend after pushing ahead of Josh Brookes on the penultimate lap.
On the opening lap Josh Brookes hit the lead from fierce rival Shane 'Shakey' Byrne and Michael Laverty. The Samsung Honda rider was pushed back to fourth as Alex Lowes moved third at Druids on the second lap, but the leading pack were pushing hard for the final race win of the season. Laverty bided his time and moved back into podium contention with a move on the eighth lap.
At the front of the pack Brookes had started to edge out an advantage, but soon Byrne was closing him back in and then coming under fire from Laverty, the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider was looking to make a move, which he did on the penultimate lap with a move down the inside at Pilgrims Drop. Byrne held the lead to score his first triple win from Brookes and with it a third title.
Byrne said: "That was amazing and I am ecstatic. It would be cruel not to have tried for the win and it has been such an incredible season. I am really emotional right now."
There was drama for the final podium position as Tommy Hill was promoted to third as Michael Laverty and Alex Lowes both crashed out at on the final lap at Paddock Hill Bend. Tommy Bridewell equalled his best position of fourth for Supersonic BMW
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, race three result:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +0.328s
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +4.445s
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +4.511s
- Barry Burrell (Buildbase BMW) +17.899s
- James Westmoreland (WFR Honda) +20.199s
- Peter Hickman (Buildbase BMW) +20.265s
- Jon Kirkham (Samsung Honda) +20.389s
- Chris Walker (Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki) +20.974s
- Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) +22.736s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship final standings:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 683
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 655
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 612
- Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) 584
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 581
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) 577